Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Whilst driving I suddenly encountered a massive pressure in

Customer Question

Whilst driving I suddenly encountered a massive pressure in my head which the spread to my arms, hands, legs and feet causing numbness and felt as though I was going to pass out. I was very scared as I was driving. What could have caused this please?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This was indeed scary incident.Sudden spike in blood pressure from the driving stress can cause these symptoms.The nerves get stimulated in the brain causing these reactions.Sinc you did not black out this is not likely heart related ( causes black outs especially the arrhythmias).But TIA or ministroke is possible which does not remain for long.But it can suggest an impending future stroke.That is why, even if you feel fine, you should see your GP for further evaluation.EKG, cardiac markers, fasting lipid profile, blood pressure, carotid artery doppler are recommended as part of work up.MRI scan of the brain also should be considered if clinically warranted. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/