Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

To a gynaecologist, I am going scan due to abdominal

To a gynaecologist,
I am going for a scan due to abdominal pain and pelvic pain during sex. I have been told by a radiologist in this group that this will not reveal anything about PID. How is this diagnosed??
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
This is diagnosed by examination, history and vaginal tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks well as I have mentioned before I have had chlamydia and gonnorhea. My vaginal swbs are coming back negative for these infections now. Is it possible I could be infected with either of these bacteria higher up in the pelvis where a swab cannot detect? E.g if the antibiotic before only destroyed bacteria in the vaginal area and not in Fallopian tubes/pelvis?
No, that is not possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But could it be possible I have PID from previous infection with these bacteria? I feel unwell as well as the pain during sex. Could I ask for a pelvic examination even if all swabs are clear?
Yes, you can. absolutelypain during sex needs checked out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to both questions?
yes, to both
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So would that mean I am still infected with this bacteria? Or is it due to previous I damage caused?
yes, previous damage it causes scar tissue and adhesions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok but negative swabs mean no infection? How would scar tissue be treated or can it not be? I had the infection for about 3 months is this enough time for it to cause this extent of damage?
It can be treated by LOA. Lysis of adhesions. That is where they go in and break up the adhesions surgically
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok could you answer my other questions?
Yes, this is enough time. Sorry about that. :(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok no problem I asked the question. Could you also answer 'does negative swab for stis mean no current infection?' Even if PID is present?
yes, it does.
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.