Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've taken one norethisterone tablet this morning to postpone

I've taken one norethisterone tablet this morning to postpone period for holiday. I did a pregnancy test this afternoon and it has come up as a faint positive. Did another test and it came back negative. Don't know what to do now. Can I carry on taking tablets as more than likely not pregnant or will that harm baby if I am? Could one tablet have caused any defects in baby if I am? Thanks
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is indeed confusing.Can be a defect in the test kit causing false positive.I will suggest repeat the urine pregnancy test again on first morning sample.The HCG cocentration is highest in the morning sample and hence the result will be accurate.If the repeat test is negative, then you are not likely pregnant.In that case you can continue with norethisterone tablets.One tablet or even 4 tablets will not cause any harm to your baby. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/