Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been diagnosed with Barretts Oesophaeus, I have spoken

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Barretts Oesophaeus, I have spoken to my doctor and he has spoken about a precudure called Laparoscopic Nissen Fundolocation. I was wondering if there was anyway I could find out if there was any type of survey that had been done on people that had had this procedure and people who had not and what the difference might be on a 10 year trial. I have no objections in having the surgery if it will be to my advantage. I will be 60 years old in January so as I am living in England I will not have to pay for my medication.
Many Thanks
Beverley Le Good
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

therea have been surveys of patients who have had fundoplication surgery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21136113

"Results:

Of the 76 patients eligible for inclusion in the survey, 48 returned complete surveys (63%). The mean time since surgery was 28±9 months. No patient experienced frequent regurgitation, and few (10%) reported frequent heartburn at follow-up assessment. No patient required redo fundoplication during the follow-up period. Acid reduction medications were resumed by 25% of the patients, but not all of these patients resumed medications for recurrent GERD symptoms (15% total). After surgery, frequent bloating (21%) and excessive flatus (46%) were often noted. Satisfaction with the results of surgery was high, including 83% of the patients."

here is another article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12430078

let me know fi you have questions.