Dr. Hoellering
Dr. Hoellering, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

On Sunday I was moving things and my back seized up. On Monday

On Sunday I was moving things and my back seized up. On Monday my GP said it was mechanical lower back pain, gave me diazepam as a muscle relaxant and I was also taking ibroprofen. I've also tried ice and heat, have been off work and find it difficult to sit or stand for more than about 30 minutes at a time so have been Alternating them. although I am sleeping all right in the morning it's worse. I can walk and bend a bit and have walked to the local shops 10 minutes away but am very worried about how long it may take to improve or whether there's something else I need to do.
I tried to get an appointment with my GP for today or tomorrow but the first available one is Monday.
I am in my 50s and live with my very frail elderly mother who is also distressed as I cannot do as much as I usually do.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Hoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Diazepam is a nice muscle relaxant, but it is a tranquilizer, too and stays in your body for more than ten hours, which makes it difficult to work and care for your mother. I recommend not to take it any longer and apply heat (no ice!) whenever possible. Ibuprofen is not only a pain killer but helps against the inflammation of the irritated nerve. Therefore its adviced to take it three times daily not to interrupt this effect.
Please try not to rest too much. Walking is better than sitting and loosens the joints.
Cortisone would be nice, because it fights the swelling even better. You hopefully will get an injection on monday, if still necessary.
I wish you a soon recovery!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. As it's several days now should there be any improvement, or roughly how long can it take before easing off?
Also I have a wrap around back support from a problem years ago I Occasionally use if my back aches, should I be using that?
Is it better to use ibuprofen rather than an ibuprofen gel or spray, which I have but have been told you can't take both at once. I havn't noticed any effect from either that or the diazepam.
Dependent on your strain and medication it can take a week or longer to ease off. The wrap can be very helpful, I would try it. Ibuprofen gel or spray is useless in this case because it can't penetrate into deeper tissues (its good on wrists or ankles).
You are welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing, my GP gave me a set of exercises which I did the first day but said to stop if it got worse, which it did. I try to do the exercises you can do standing up but am wary of those that involve lying down (on a bed as I can't get to the floor).
Lying down at all is painful, or rather getting up again is ,and as I can't sit or stand for too long at a time I'm running out of where to put myself the rest of the time.
Also you said heat is better than ice, so If I use a hot water bottle as much as possible is that okay?
A hot water bottle is ok, and please don't do exercises which are painful! Anyhow, do them slowly and carefully.
Dr. Hoellering, Board Certified MD
Experience: Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your are welcome!
Thank you for pushing a positive feedback button.