Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Good morning, Please could you tell me if it is possible

Good morning,
Please could you tell me if it is possible for me to have bladder cancer.
I am a female of 49 years. I am 5 years post breast cancer, and a smoker.
I have suffered from numerous bouts of cystitis over the years. I have had two bouts within the last 6 months, with bloody urine and clots.
I had an ultrasound on my right sided organs four months ago, which didn't show any abnormalities.
Last week I woke with my urine burning, took a urine sample congaing blood clots to my GP. They asked for a repeat sample this week which is now clear, I still have a burning sensation in my genital area, lower back pain, pubic pain and right side flank pain.
My GP doesn't think I fit the criteria to see a urologist, please advise.
Yours sincerely *****
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you have the results of the urinalysis done on the repeat urine specimen?
Are you still passing blood after completing the three days of antibiotics?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The repeat specimen is normal and not showing any sign of infection. I am no longer passing blood, but still have symptoms descibed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The symptoms I am having is lower right side back pain and flank pain, pubic pain and burning sensation around the genital area.
Thank you for the additional information.
With persistent pain and burning, the usual next step would be a different evaluation than if there was continued blood in the urine.
If there is persistent or recurrent bleeding in the urine without apparent infection, then consultation with a Urologist and consideration of cystoscopy would be appropriate.
But since there is no persistence or recurrence of blood in the urine, then evaluation of the pain and burning would usually mean that the next step would be an imaging test, such as a CT scan. If the pain and burning persists and no cause can be found on exam or imaging tests, then it may still ultimately require a consultation with a Urologist and consideration of a cystoscopy, but not yet indicated.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!!
You are very welcome.
Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.