Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I am on my period and have really bad lower back flank pain!

Customer Question

I am on my period and have really bad lower back flank pain! It sharp and it comes and goes like waves? I am 21! Could this be kidney stones?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidkidney stones would cause blood in the urine which can be detected by urine testsbut more likely it is period pain from cramps from your ovaries.how old are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm am 21 and had this pain once before when I had. Kidney infection last month
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.well, if you are worried about kidney infection, you should go to the ER or urgent care center and they can check your urine for infection.do you have an hospital close to you ? ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about***** The pain has been there since 8:30! I took 2 paracedomol then and nothing has helped. It is now 01:35!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you can try ibuprofen (advil) with food in your stomach you can also try over the counter bladder numbing agents like pyridium or phenazopyridine which could help the pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I wouldn't want to go to the er if it only period pain but the pain is pretty severe and sharp
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
is the urine clear? have you been drinking lots of water?try the advil with food in your stomach, 2 x 200mg pills and see if that helps the pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok . Yea I drink a good bit today.
no urine is a bit dark
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if the urine is dark, that could be blood from an infection or blood from your period. continue to drink water and fluids.