Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been having episodes of dizziness week. Often

Customer Question

I have been having episodes of dizziness for a week. Often associated with a temperature and sometimes nausea.
Three days ago I went to a doctor who referred Ne to the local hospital. I had numerous tests ECG, chest XRay blood tests. Nothing was found to be abnormal. However these symptoms persist. As I'm travelling I'm rather at my wits end to know what else to do.
Is it likely to be a virus? Thus was the one possibility the hospital suggested . In between the episodes I feel ok.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Did your have an MRI of your brain? How high a fever? Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not an MRI but some physical neurological tests.
The said my temperature was up slightly.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Carolyn. Any headache?

How long does the dizziness last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No headache. The dizziness can last for an hour or two. Oddly it can clear if I start moving around.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. This sounds like a vertigo problem Carolyn--an inflammation of the inner ear. It can be caused by a virus but it can also happen on it's own without any infection.

However, in some cases it can indicate more serious conditions like multiple sclerosis, a brain tumor, or an acoustic neuroma--a tumor of the auditory cranial nerve. It can ever be a threatened stroke.

I'd suggest you see your own doctor about this and get another evaluation including and MRI of the brain and head.

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this. My problem is I'm overseas at the moment and will not be home for another month. I gather you advise I should seek another assessment with MRI .
In the meanwhile is there anything I can take to alleviate the dizziness? I'm currently taking some Panadol for the temperature.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you have access to Dramamine that can help. Or get a prescription for Meclizine from a doctor. Vitamin D supplements and ginger in tea can also help

Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Carolyn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Further to your response - I had as second visit to the hospital where checks were repeated but they did not consider an MRI was necessary, They believed that it was a virus affecting the inner ear. They provided me with Prochlorperazine. I'm glad to say I'm feeling much better!
Thank you again for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure Carolyn