Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have noticed a slight swelling under my left breast maybe

Hi I have noticed a slight swelling under my left breast maybe about 2-3 cm only noticed it when lying down it is not sore to touch. I have had an abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and also being sent for an abdominal ultrasound as doctor thought my aorta wasn't right could this be what this swelling is?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Is this area of swelling between the skin and the rib cage?
Or is it lower than the rib cage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's on skin on the rib cage like inflammation and only see it when lying flat
Thank you for the additional information.

First to address the direct question of whether any suspected problem with the aorta could be causing this swelling, then answer is no. The fact that the rib cage lies deep to the area of swelling would block any potential effect that any aortic problem could have on noticeable swelling in or under the skin.

The most likely cause of swelling in the skin would be inflammation in the skin. If it is immediately under the skin, then it could be either musculoskeletal inflammation or a pulled muscle.

Some patient can develop a pulled muscles as part of healing from abdominal surgery, although it usually would occur sooner than 8 weeks after surgery. But a pulled muscle or musculoskeletal inflammation can occur in anyone, even without recent surgery.

It would be reasonable to use ice to help ease swelling and an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.