Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Can I get HIV from cutting my finger on a takeaway foil container?

Can I get HIV from cutting my finger on a takeaway foil container? If someone at the restaurant cut there finger on the container before me.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,That will be extremely rare coincidence.Practically this is not a mode of HIV transmission.Due to the very small amount of blood involved the virus quantity is never adequate to cause any infection.Also virus even if present on the tin foil get deactivated due to the time evolved between the contacts.So no testing recommended either. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I need not worry about HIV infection?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Not at all.Do not worry.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloIn fact I disagree.This would not even be a "rare occurence" as you were told.You will NOT get HIV this way.I am a US doctor.Find me by request anytime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you what about from a cat scratch, if they scratch someone then scratch me?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
NoIt would never happen.The issue here is your anxiety about catching HIV.That is what needs to be treated.While you could get an infection from a cat scratch, it would be a normal, bacteria infection from your own skin or the cats claw. It would be fully treatable. It would have nothing at all to do with HIV. I will help you with more questions if needed. Please however, click a positive rating on this post. We are only paid per positive rating.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
This is Dr Basu your original expert.
The above expert did not offer you any significantly different opinion.
Regarding your question, cat scratch does not transmit HIV due to the fact cats do not harbor HIV virus.
So no way you can get any HIV or hepatitis from cat bite.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about cutting myself on razors, or knives etc etc, if someone else like for example cuts themselves beforehand, then cutting myself, can I get HIV in this way?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
That depends.If the razor has been used within 30 minutes without washing, then there is a very small risk of HiV transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even if the cut from a scratch or cut from knife, cat, razor or anything else goes straight into a vein? Is there a 30 second rule on how long the virus survives? My daughter went on a college trip and the girls shared clothes even swimwear and underwear, my son put paper money in his mouth, which could have anything on and he gets bleeding gums, are these situations of HIV infection. Is this the same as Hepatitis, my friend had that quite badly.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Still, HIV will not be transmitted usually.that is usually 15 to 30 minutes or if sterilized with hot water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it stay alive in the mouth for example if an animal bites someone the me, could the HIV stay alive that way?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
No there is no such report.Do not worry.Please rate the chat now as we had an extensive discussion so far on this topic.Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if somebody cuts themselves say on a knife before I do then I cut myself, does the virus die when exposed to the air in between two of us injuring ourselves. Sorry I am confused about this 30 minute thing!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes the virus gets inactivated ( we do not use 'die' word for viruses).Practically no risk of transmission that way since the amount of virus involved is very small --not adequate to cause infection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Basu before I sign off you must know I have become obsessive around HIV since having Breast Cancer, I ask one last question to ask, my husband walked on an old sanitary towel in the street, he puts the shoes the involved in our bedroom, my hairbrush dropped on them, I tried some cognitive therapy to show its ok, by putting the hairbrush on my tongue, yes I know it's bizarre, but I have to do this, well now I am worried because the hairbrush has sharp bristles and jabbed my tongue and made it bleed, I also carried on drying my hair and the bristles scratch my head because after Chemo I have very thin hair. Could either of these situations, particularly my tongue, a way of contracting HIV?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
That is also a no risk for HIV. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I still worry about HIV, for example I have just jabbed my fingers on a corn on the cob spike while cleaning the kitchen, sometimes I have a lady who helps me clean, am I to think if she jabbed herself also before me, then there is no risk from HIV? After this how do I rate your service?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
There is no risk of HIv also from such exposures.Please rate here :)Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about food if I drop some food on the floor and don't want to waste it, and someone has walked in with maybe blood on their shoes can I get HIV?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
still not a problem
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD