Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

There I was diagnosed with a viral infection about a week

Customer Question

Hi there
I was diagnosed with a viral infection about a week ago when I was in Australia.
I was bed ridden for about 5 days and felt very congested and had extreme tiredness.
I then got a flight home to Ireland on Friday and developed a consistant cough which also made me cough up yellow phleghm aswell.
im now back home and the cough has eased and I am still bringing up phleghm.#
my chest is a bit sore now aswell and am wondering have I a chest infection and do I need anti biotics??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. While this still could be just viral and in that case antibiotics would be totally ineffective, the yellow phlegm may indicate that it's become a bacterial bronchitis.
Unless you have a significant fever and still are feeling wiped out, were I your doctor I would hold off on the antibiotics for about another five days.
However, I would get a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia so I suggest you do see your doctor for an evaluation
Let me know if you need any more information please