DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

In the past year I have married the girl I love and have

Hi! In the past year I have married the girl I love and have been with for 8 years, bought a house, have just been successful with a really good job and we are expecting a baby girl in December however rather than being happy, I am constantly tormenting myself with the questions "am I gay? Or bi?" I honestly am not even having homosexual urges or thoughts but I am not looking at girls the same way now because as soon as I see an attractive girl, I then say I my head "you're overcompensating" etc. my father is bipolar and I have read that it may be hereditary and I am therefore worried that these thoughts are either genuine or it is some form of mania manifesting in my head, either way it is causing me extreme anxiety. This has gone on for about six weeks now, somehow I am sleeping ok but I wake up with that thought, I have had good days around friends and family that I love where I am distracted and don't question myself as much and others where I'm alone and relentlessly worry about it. Should I seek psychiatric help?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
This can be OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder, just as one example.
It is completely treatable, but you need the exam and assessment.
Find a psychiatrist at this point.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.