Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Had a breast lumpectomy and radiotherapy 5 yrs ago. Had my

Customer Question

Had a breast lumpectomy and radiotherapy 5 yrs ago. Had my final clinic last Thursday. Had mammogram as well but I'm extremely sore and swollen under breast, underarm, and around my back. No swollen nodes just under the skin. Clothes rubbing makes it worse.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you mean that this soreness started after the evaluation and mammogram on Thursday?
Or has the soreness been there longer? If longer, how long has it been bothering you?
Have you tried any medicines to help with the soreness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only since evaluation and mammogram.
Thank you for the clarification.
Soreness that arises from a breast evaluation and mammogram is most likely related to some bruising of the deep tissue, usually mild, but can be of greater severity in some cases. It is also possible that the bruising could involve the nerve that serves the area, which is more likely to cause the clothes sensitivity that you mention and also may cause shooting pains.
There are several interventions that can help with this soreness. It will usually help to apply ice and moist heat. Ice is more important for the first 2-3 days, but moist heat is more important thereafter. It also may help to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If local care and an anti-inflammatory medicine is not sufficient, then it would be reasonable to augment the anti-inflammatory medicine with paracetamol.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor.
You are most welcome.