Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a persistent sensation of phlegm or something in the

I have a persistent sensation of phlegm or something in the pharyngeal area. Something feels like it has moved after I swallow but nothing comes out. I have no cold. This has been going on for six months.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. So you don't actually cough or spit up any phlegm at all?

Any problem with a sore throat or indigestion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, nothing comes out. It is simply like a wad of sticky stuff far back in the nasal cavity, which won't budge.

No sore throat or indigestion.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Bruce

There are two possibilities here--

One would be a chronic sinusitis problem and the other would be a polyp in either the sphenoid or ethmoid sinus

At this point you should ask your doctor for a ct scan of your sinuses and an ENT referral.

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Is the phlegm sensation therefore either inflammation in the area or a polyp?

I did have sinusitis in spring 2013 which was cleared by antibiotics. In 2014 I had irritation toward the front of the nasal area which I was given steroid nasal spray for. I stopped using this in January 2015 when this Phlegm thing started. I also have a deviated septum but my nasal airways are good and clear.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, either of those could cause the phlegm feeling Bruce.

As about the ct scan.

Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you