Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband is 75 and type 2 diabetic years. Drs

Customer Question

Hi. My husband is 75 and type 2 diabetic for 10 years. Drs have always been happy with his bg at 10.. In the past 5 days his readings have gone very wayward..running between 9 and 19...he is very drowsy saying he feels completely exhausted . Nothing has changed diet wise and we can't understand why his is happening. He has spoken to the dr on the phone who says he is happy with the readings ..I am not.. Do you think we have anything to worry about . ? He is on 500mg metformin bd and 80g gliclazide bd .. Which I understand is the maximum.. Can you suggest anything we can do to try and reduce it when it is so high .. I assume he can't take anything else medication wise that we have at the moment .. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I need some more information first please--

Any signs of an infection like fever, sore throat, cough, etc?

Is the drowsiness and fatigue just in the past 5 days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No obvious infection ..
He is on a lot of other medication...
175 mcg fentanyl patch of neuropathic pain, nortripyline ,ramipril, gabapentin
So he can have periods of drowsiness but this has lasted far longer than normal and he says he feels different ..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jill.

Like you, I'm not comfortable with this high level of his blood glucose and it almost always indicates an infection--in his case the most likely would be a prostate or other urinary tract infection. For that reason he needs an evaluation right away with blood work and a urinalysis.

As for his medication--He is not maxed out on the metformin--2500 mg per day is the maximum, so his doctor could raise that

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you .. Prostate has been removed but I shall get urine sample and take to to be dipped . Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure