DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been to the doctor and he prescribed omeprazole. I

I have been to the doctor and he prescribed omeprazole. I can feel a lump in my abdomen and wanted to ask you about this.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
A lump in the abdomen, if your doctor can feel it, needs a scan, a CT or MRI.
MRI is a better scan, without radiation.
Of course, we can not examine you, and you need to see if what you are feeling is abnormal. Your doctor can do this.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The doctor didn't mention the lump, but I found it today. It's right in the midline, halfway between the bottom of my sternum and belly button . I am not sure if it's normal or not? It's feels tubular, about an inch big, running across my abdomen
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No way to say without exam.
Doctors can miss things.
However, there is no common reason for a lump in this area.
Diastasis recti occurs in this area, it is when there is a separation between the abdominal muscles, like a hernia, and things bulge out.
That is harmless.
Go let your doctor look at it and feel it.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still concerned it could be some type of cancer, do you still think it's not stomach cancer given I've had pain for a long time?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I do not think it is cancer.
Wrong location.
So, show it to your doctor.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But could it be stomach cancer?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Wrong location.
What is your age?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 45, isn't the lump where my stomach is? Lump is in midline above belly button. I'm not sure, is stomach more to the left? Yes, my abdominal muscles have separated since my pregnancies.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is not stomach cancer.
IT is the diastasis recti.
Show it to your doctor.
No, stomach cancer would not be felt by hand in this location.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh that's interesting! One more question , I am on the 6th day of taking 20 omeprazole daily, I haven't had much change in my stomach pain, should it be working by now?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No
It can take up to 3 weeks or longer to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
anytime
any questions