Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Since stopping depo injection my sex drive is non existent.

Customer Question

Since stopping depo injection my sex drive is non existent. This is causing issues at home. Also I have put on weight. Pls advise
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer, What is your age? What is your weight and height? How much has it increased and in how much duration? Do you take any other medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 40 years old. I was on the injection for about 6 months. I would say in total I have put about a stone on

I now weight just under 11 stone and I am 5 foot

it is more the low sex drive that I am concerned with. It is starting to cause friction between me and my partner. I have explained it could be to

do with the injection but of course he thinks it's him

When did you stop the injection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was due to have it on 2nd July but had read up on it and since I was putting on thr weight decided to stop.

Dear Customer, Thanks for your reply. Basically the advantage of this injection is its long duration of action but this may also be a disadvantage since its side effects if present can take a long duration to resolve. Changes in hormone levels caused by Depo-Provera may cause diminished sexual interest. Sometimes this side effect will get resolved on continued use of the medication. However in some individuals this adverse effect will not go away. Hence discontinuing the medication in consultation with your doctor will be the only option. Since you were due on 2nd July and now its more than a month, you will gradually regain your sexual drive as the effect of the medication decreases, since this side effect of the injection is reversible. Hence please explain this to your partner. Take care.