Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

My daughter had 2 haematomas after a c section birth. 1 of

Customer Question

My daughter had 2 haematomas after a c section birth. 1 of them started to seep through the wound and was infected. The wound was found to be 11.4 cm deep and 5 cm wide. She has been having this packed allowing it to heal from the inside out. She had an ultra sound yesterday which shows the deep seated haematoma is shrinking. The one that is seeping and being packed is said to be healed after just 1 week of treatment. We are concerned that it has not healed from the inside after being told that it could take weeks to heal completely. It has been dressed and packed daily by district nurses but some use very little of the packing while other use a full 40cm length. Can you please reassure my daughter that a healing process can be complete in 1 week for a depth of this size or do we need to query it with the hospital.
Many thanks *****
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****I amCustomerand I would be helping you today.Is the wound still seeping?If it is still seeping has the discharge decreased?What is volume of discharge from wound at present?Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The wound is still seeping but not as much as originally. A swab was taken yesterday to check for infection. Can a wound of this size and depth heal in 1 week of treatment.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
I had an internet connection failure and that caused delay in my reply.A hematoma can heal up by the walls of cavity collapsing and obviating the dead space.When dead space is obviated the walls of the cavity stick to each other and no further collection occurs.But if seepage or discharge is still present it means that the cavity is still present because discharge comes from the lining of such a cavity.The decrease in discharge is a good sign though as it means that the cavity is decreasing in size.I would suggest that she get compressive dressing done to compress the cavity.Compressive dressing can be applied by using an elastic adhesive tape.The wound should also be packed to the minimum extent possible to allow the cavity to decrease in size.I understand that this may not the answer you were expecting to get but I have to be ethical and tell you the truth.Anything less would be a breach of my professional responsibility.I would be happy to assist you need any further assistance in the matter.