Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have degeneration of the spinal cord caused by pernicious

Customer Question

I have degeneration of the spinal cord caused by pernicious anaema this has been getting worse for the last 10 years and walking is very difficult. Is there anything that would help this condition. I have B12 injections every 8 weeks but this does not help my walking.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Have you had a recent MRI of your spine and can you tell me more about the walking problem?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ronald you opened up a new question but let's stay on this page.

Have you had an MRI of the spine and, again, what exactly is the problem with your walking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not had an MRI of the spine.

My legs feel so heavy,my knees feel that they are being gripped tightly. the soles of my feet feel as if they are on rockers, this affects my balance, co-ordination of my legs is extremely poor, I trip easily.It is impossible to walk up & down stairs without a support rail. It is difficult to walk without veering sideways.

I had all this but far less severe when I was diagnosed with pernic.anaema 40 years ago. but when I was put on B 12 it all more or less cleared up. The situation I now find myself in began 10 years ago,

I couldn't understand how it all came back after being on B12 for 30 years.

I did see my G.P. some time ago but he was not too helpful and said that these symptoms sometimes recur in old age.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Ronald.

First off you need an MRI of your lumbar spine and nerve conduction studies and EMG's of your legs to determine the exact problem here. I don't think this is spinal cord degeneration from a B12 problem at all.

You may have spinal stenosis--narrowing of the canal the spinal cord passes through and if that's the case surgery to open the canal could very well resolve your walking problem.

I would also screen your for an autoimmune neurpathy condition since in that case a course of prednisone and a biologic like Humira would be the treatment.

I'd have you seen by a neurologist and a rheumatologist both to further evaluate this

Let me know if you need any more information