Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Disk degenerative disease ive had a recent whole spine MRI

Customer Question

disk degenerative disease
ive had a recent whole spine MRI which showed
degenerative disk, it was mainly to scan the thoracic, but they did an whole spine scan but not a cross section scan??
c6, c7, t9,t10,t11 and LS S1
Ive been having back spas am fro over three months, now i stopped exercising because of the pain and spasms, however i started swimming last week but notice some spasms when i rotated my body in the water
my GP has just given me co -codomal
am i going to live like this for the rest of my life in pain and back spasms, they are not there first thing in the morning but it gets worse has the day progresses?
is there any supplements i can take etc to ease the back ache and spasm? it seams to be worse when i sit in the upright position, and go for get up my back locks and hoes into spasam
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI amCustomerand I would be helping you today.This is not a life long affliction.Disc degeneration is described to have 3 stages.Degeneration, instability and stabilisation.First two stages can be painful but pain decreases as disc gets stabilised.This is a natural process and ultimately our body is able to stabilise any unstable disc.Even in first two stages you can have pain for a short period followed by a pain free interval.During painful phase care of posture can help a lot in decreasing pain.Certain exercises to strengthen the muscles supporting our back also help.A physiotherapist or a physiatrist can teach you about good posture and ways to strengthen the muscles supporting our back.You may take glucosamine as a supplement which is supposed to help the cartilage in facet joints of spine and thereby decrease any pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

i friend told me about gluscoamine and also rosehip? no sure why the rosehip, il try that too see if it helps

i cant understand why its been present for three months now and not changed in pan, ache or spasms, can it last for this long?

can you explain the three stages Disc degeneration is described to have 3 stages?

would swimming three times a week and one session of plilates help

why is it better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on?

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
You may try rosehip as well.Pain can last this long.The stages are as named.Degenerative changes occur first.Changes of degeneration cause loss of structural stability provided by a disc causing instability.This is followed by stabilisation as our body forms osteophytes or throws some bone around the periphery of disc to stop excessive movement between adjacent vertebrae.Swimming is a good exercise as it is done in a decreased gravity environment and helps strengthen the muscles supporting our spine.Pilates would not be advisable in acute painful stage as it may increase pain.Pain gets worse as the structures supporting our back tend to get fatigued over the day.Therefore exercises to strengthen these muscles is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

i was told my the physio to do pilates? so i guess il give that i miss then?

any other exercises apart from swimming? il try the suplements as well

anything for the spasams in my back i can take?

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
A prescription drug like cyclobenzaprine which is a muscle relaxant would be helpful for spasms.
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience: MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cyclobenzaprine not avaible in the uk whats the alternative?

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Tizanidine is available in UK but with prescription.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thnakyou!

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.