Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm taking a 7.25 flight this morning. I purchased a pair

Customer Question

I'm taking a 7.25 flight this morning.I purchased a pair of compression socks & wondering if they're safe for me?I'm a. 52 year old woman, my ankles usually swell after a flight.I occasionally get numbness in my left thigh in the frontNo response & I'm boarding my plane so will need a refund if no response in next minute
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be safe to wear compression stockings to prevent swelling. The history of occasional numbness in the front left thigh is not an issue that would affect wearing compression stockings. Prolonged sitting may aggravate the nerve that serves the front of the thigh, so the numbness may get worse during the flight, but that may occur regardless of whether you wear the compression stockings, and if it does occur, it is not a serious issue.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.