Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I am about to have a calcification removed from my knee, and

Customer Question

I am about to have a calcification removed from my knee, and the details from the hospital mentions "extensor halluces longus" I can only find information on this relating to the big toe. How does this relate to an operation on my knee>
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Please write the full details mentioned in the hospital report. In what context was this mentioned? What operation is being planned? Do you suffer from any medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a Spina Bifida who is ambulant but I walk with my knees bent. I am a calcification/loose body in my right knee which is thought to be causing tendonitis where it is rubbing on the patellar tendon. This calcification is being removed on Wednesday. The report from the hospital says

"Planned procedures

W851 Arthroscopic removal of loose body from knee.

T697 Other specified freeing of tendon.

Z585 Extensor hallucis longus."

I have done some research into the latter of these and can only find reference to it relating to toes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--has your surgeon discussed any proposed surgery on your foot?