Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am following up from my question to you earlier

Customer Question

I am following up from my question to you earlier regarding the testicles. I don't know if you are still able to see the history.
I had an ultasound less than two months ago and this was normal. I have noticed on my left testicle on the very bottom of it sort of detached from it small sort of mass which is not hard and which moves around. I noticed it before some time ago but maybe not as much. Would this be the epidymis tail? I am not sure and wanted to get your opinion. NO pain and no symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. most likely this is a varicocele--a twisted vein inside the scrotum. Nothing serious or dangerous. It wouldn't be part of the epidydimis

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have some follow up questions would an ultrasound from less than two months ago which was normal change significantly? There were no spermatocele or varicoele at the time of the ultrasound in June. Also it does feel like small mass ie it doesnt feel like a collection of veins its actually on both testicles at the back of each one but seems to be more prominent in the left one. Its like a squishy mass doesnt feel like a lump as such.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well if the ultrasound was normal less than two months ago then there certainly is no reason to worry about testicular cancer if that were your concern here. If you're feeling it on both testicles then it could be the tail of the epidydimis on both sides.

If you're still concerned, just consult the doctor who ordered your ultrasound and who I am certain examined your testicles so you can be further assured there's nothing to worry about here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay but would it be normal for the tail of the epididymis to be more prominent on one side than the other?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--perfectly normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one further follow up Dr Chip, if the ultrasound from less than two months ago was normal, is it possible for there to be a very significant change in terms of things like testicular cancer etc?
Also it seems the tail is a little more prominent perhaps maybe i didnt pay too much attention to it in the past but can the tail of the epidiymis increase in size?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

No, there wouldn't have been any change in two months--especially not testicular cancer

Most likely you have been worried and the tail just seems larger to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the response Dr Chip. I still have a few things i wanted to confirm how does the tail normally feel and where exactly is it located?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Behind the testicle and usually it's a little firm buta bit spongy.

But seriously--check with the doctor who ordered the ultrasound and he can confirm there's nothing worrisome here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You mentioned that this all sounds normal to you, am not sure why you mention to check with the urologist?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just because you still seem to be worried despite my telling you there's nothing to worry about--if that's the case having the urologist tell you the same thing--which I'm certain he will--should put the matter to rest for you

Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you for the time I've spent with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay i mean the main thing was i just wanted your opinion on the likelihood an ultrasound can change in a couple of months.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--no that doesn't happen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi doctor, apologies i have still not closed this with a rating as i had a question but didnt have access to a computer.
Its a question on testicular cancer and how quickly it grows. As i mentioned i had a scan two months ago and you mentioned a scan would not change in two months i read somewhere that testicular cancer can grow within 30 days is this true? is it fair to say it is likely there wont be any change in my scan within two months?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well let's put it this way--if you had a normal scan two months ago testicular cancer doesn't grow fast enough for you to be able to feel it now.

I am absolutely certain that if you had a scan now it would be completely normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay so its not correct that it grows very quickly between 10-30 days?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't grow fast enough in one to to months for you to be able to feel it

I've spent a lot of time with you on this and despite my telling you that you don't have testicular cancer you still seem to be worried about that. Let's end this page with a rating please and I suggest--not because I think you have testicular cancer but just to put your mind fully at rest--is that you go back to your urologist and have him examine you again so that he can tell you face to fact that you don't have cancer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, i dont think i need to go back its not that my mind is not at rest its just that i wanted to get some more information.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good then. Please rate my service for the time I spent with you