Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is flatulence together with mucus and blood from the anus a

Customer Question

Is flatulence together with mucus and blood from the anus a condition I should check up on?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Definitely that needs to be evaluated with a stool sample and colonoscopy

It could indicate a bacterial enteritis like E coli or C diff or salmonella or it could indicate inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis

You need to get checked right away.

Let me know if you need any more information please
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need any more discussion please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are only traces of blood (once a pea sized amount plus mucus) and they are not in my stools. This condition happens mainly if I eat indigestible food like cerial globe aritichokes (in which case I get bad/uncomfortable flatulence) or more food and sugar than I usually do because I have been on holiday.Do I still need this checked as a matter of urgency or can I wait a couple of weeks which would be more convenient for me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--in that case it can wait for a week or two but you should still get it checked out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I would like to give you a top rating for your response.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but be sure to follow up with me as to how it goes