Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Yellow fever and hashimotos

yellow fever and hashimotos
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--what's your question please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have auto immune hashimotos and am worried as to why a doctor gave me a vaccination for yellow fever today. My worry, is won't this LAV (live) vaccination cause an auto immune response? and I will end up with more problems? I am 64

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Trevor--first off why the vaccination? Was it for travel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, travel later this year on a cruise through Panama, then onwards

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Trevor.

An autoimmune disease like what you have isn't a low immune system problem--it's really an overactive immune system and in your case it's directed at your thyroid

So there's really no reason for you to worry that the vaccination is going to cause you any problems

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** mine is over active immune disease and that is reason for my concern. Couldn't this live LAV kick off more antibodies? and I end up with serious issues?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

other worries:

the NHS in UK recommends that over 60's don't have this vaccination, correct? I am 64

Furthermore, I read this below, so my older vaccination from 1999 (before I developed hashimotos later in 2001) would have been sufficient, so I am not sure if doctors know they are giving vaccinations

1 to older people

2 where they are not needed

3 to people with immune disorders

News release

The yellow fever ‘booster’ vaccination given ten years after the initial vaccination is not necessary, according to WHO. An article published in WHO’s Weekly Epidemiological Record (WER) reveals that the Organization’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on immunization (SAGE) has reviewed the latest evidence and concluded that a single dose of vaccination is sufficient to confer life-long immunity against yellow fever disease.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, Trevor, that simply doesn't happen witha vaccine like this so again, no worries

You probably didn't need the booster and the vaccine should be used selectively for people over 60 but all in all I don't think there's going to be a problem here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still worried , hence being on line asking these questions. here's more to worry about

The risk of severe illness or death from a vaccine-preventable disease must be weighed against potential adverse events from administering a live vaccine to an immunocompromised patient.

Yellow Fever Vaccine-Associated Viscerotropic Disease (YEL-AVD)

The risk of YEL-AND and YEL-AVD is higher in elderly people, which is why vaccination is not always recommended for these groups.

I am immunocompromised, correct?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand your concern.

But you aren't immunocompromised.

And the YEL-AVD is a very rare occurrence and since you had the vaccine before with not problem there's really no reason to think that will happen to you this time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** concern, last vaccine before with no problems was long BEFORE I developed hashimotos and b12 atrophic gastritis, which as you know are both related auto immune diseases that usually appear together. As long as you are sure I will not develop more auto immune diseases due to this yellow fever vaccination waking my immune system and creating other types of anti bodies, then I can relax, right?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can relax Trevor.

Again what you're really worried about is something that involves a compromised immune system which is not the case with autoimmune disorders.

And autoimmune disorders are not brought on by vaccinations--there's no relation there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Chip. Just so I can rate you, can you please give proof you are not an algorithm or computer by answering this.....what is the result of 4+ 7 ?

Thanks again

Trevor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's 11 Trevor and I'm real and not a computer