Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My Son in Law was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in December

My Son in Law was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in December 2009. It was quite advanced, I think it was stage 1V plus he had other symptoms as well such as nights sweats, weight loss etc.
He underwent ABVD Chemo for 9 months (every fortnight)
He went into remission in October 2010 and has been fine since up until January of this year.
In January he had a chest infection which required two cycles of antibiotics to treat. Since then he has had four more chest infections each requiring antibiotics. He has a permanent dry cough and does get a little out of breath at times.
His GP finally sent him for an X Ray a couple of weeks ago and it shows lung fibrosis. The GP say's it's probably from the chemotherapy. He is waiting for a CT scan to determine the extent of the fibrosis. His bloods are fine.
My question is; is it usual to have this diagnosis so long after treatment has ceased? I've trawled the internet but as far as I can see lung damage usually occurs during treatment or shortly after.
I know there are many different types of lung fibrosis and we won't know for sure what is going on until he has the CT scan but I wonder is this damage likely to be progressive?
It certainly seems progressive at the moment which isn't fitting in with the chemo related fibrosis. Or is it, I'm not sure.
Can you advise
Many Thanks
Jan Hill
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you. If your son in law didn't have radiation, I don't thing that this lung fibrosis is related to the chemotherapy. I's necessary to check out viral, bacterial or fungal infections. A good reason to develop a fibrosis would be the exogen allergic alveolitis, an issue you get from contact with birds, but from frequent air conditioning as well. You can stop the fibrosis from getting worse by medication (anti inflammation, anti bronchial constriction), but you unluckily cannot reverse it. I wish your son in law the very best!