Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've very recently developed parathesia in the back of my head.

I've very recently developed parathesia in the back of my head. It comes & goes but is uncomfortable. Do I need a brain scan?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Paresthesia at the back of head is usually caused by the cervical spine problem.Nerve compression due to the spin arthritis, herniated disc, or rarely syringomyelia, spinal tumors can cause this.Other possibilities include vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes, thyroid disorder, anxiety, occipital migraine.So a neurological evaluation is required.MRI scan of the cervical spine may be required after clinical evaluation.Physiotherapy of the cervical spine, vitamin B12 supplement, alpha lipoic acid supplement, and prescription medication gabapentin can be used. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/