Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Dear Dr Chip My son shared a flat at university and they share

Customer Question

Dear Dr Chip
My son shared a flat at university and they share all there kitchen utensils, my son bought stuff home which may not be his, while sorting through boxes of kitchen stuff I cut my hand on a sharp blade or something, the stuff was also in a box given to him by a friend who is a paramedic, if there was blood from someone else on the blade of the box, and then I cut myself is there a risk of HIV infection? Should I be tested?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again, no, there's no risk of getting HIV like that and you don't need to be tested
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not even if his flat mates cut themselves on the same sharp blade before I did ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not even then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I not even if it was on the box either? We were looking for new flats for my son and we went to see one where there were lots of nightclubs, and while we were walking past there must have been a fight outside and there was blood all over the pavement, we had walked through it before we realised it was blood, my anxiety levels went sky high, my family thought it was funny when I went into panic mode, but I supposed it was like a phobia therapy when someone is exposed to the the phobia until their anxiety levels decrease, I was exposed to to one of my nightmares. This was on Saturday if there is any blood on our shoes walking through the blood, can I tell myself that the HIV virus would be dead now?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You already mentioned that part to me before

No way in either scenario could you catch HIV Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Dr Chip I am in a state at the moment, I am worried about banging my head on the bathroom cabinet, which had blood on the handle which I caught my head on and banging my arm on a sharp bit of the door, I am worried that the builders we had in could have left blood on the door and the bathroom cabinet, before I hit myself! And have HIV. I feel I must stop myself asking anymore questions but I can't I am so worried about HIV.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How do you know there was blood on the handle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because I saw it on there, it could have got there by daughter who does have nosebleeds but can't be sure
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Even so, there's no way you get HIV in either way like that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not if was the builders? On handle or sharp piece on door?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not even then Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mind is now worrying about jabbing myself on a kitchen knife and if the lady who helps me clean did the same thing before whilst cleaning the knife rack, am I free HIV infection ? Should I keep telling myself only through unprotected sex and sharing needles.?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just keep repeating to yourself that only with unprotected sex and needle sharing can one get HIV
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son just came in with a used Band Aid stuck to his shoe, I feel I need to wash myself all over, but I am telling myself only through sex and needles, my cat scratched from coming in the street I am telling myself sex and needles.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You have to keep doing that until it sinks in Jane--you don't have HIV

We need a rating at this point please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just before I rate Dr my son came in with a band aid on his shoe after visiting his GP, I told him to take it off from the bottom of his shoe and put in the bin, but as a joke he put it in a sandwich which he made me, I found it in my mouth when I ate a bite, but chew it only a bit and spat it out, my family think I am mad worrying about things, have I HIV, the bandaid is now in bin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not very nice of your son if he knows about you HIV obsession I must say

You can't get HIV that way either Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not even when I bit my lip while eating?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Jane, when I tell you no way I mean no way.

Rating now please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Dr what about burning my mouth on hot tea whilst eating the sandwich?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not even then Jane--you just can't get HIV that way

If we're going to go on any further on this page I need a rating first please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Toothbrush fell in sink where my son washed his hands after taking the bandaid off his shoe. But telling myself I can only catch HIV through sex and sharing needles!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Keep telling yourself that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am it's very difficult as my OCD mind takes over. My cat just scratched me and there was blood outside our front door a week ago, but there were a few feathers the blood could have come from bird, I am telling myself if my cat scratched me after walking in it. Only sex and needles.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Keep repeating that and just so you'll know birds don't carry HIV
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I know birds don't carry HIV but it could have been human blood, there were a few feather around so I assumed it was birds blood, but even if it was human just sex and needles ok? And it doesn't matter if it's walked in the house the virus is dead?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The virus would be dead, yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I am a bit late in answering, I have been trying to cope with my OCD and I have been not asking for reassurance, but today I went to a hardware store and saw something red on a packet which I picked up don't know whether it was blood or not, then I picked up a packet of picture hanging nails and jabbed my finger, I kept telling myself just Sex and Sharing needle are a risk of HIV infection, am I right or could I be at risk from the hardware store from touching the red stain and jabbing myself on the nail. Also somebody bought me some roses and I pricked myself on the thorns which someone else could have. But again I am saying its not the same as a hollow needle and unprotected sex.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You can't get HIV from the nail or from the rose thorn Jane

But if we're going to continue using this page we need a rating now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But would I be at risk if someone jabbed their finger before I did, would there be enough blood to risk infection of HIV?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, no risk at all even with that

Rating please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think after this I will have to try not too seek reassurance as I think it makes my OCD worse. I dropped my mascara on the floor on my husbands shoes, now I know he stepped on a old sanitary towel in the street, was I ok by saying to myself just use the mascara, I can only get HIV through sex and needles. I did use the mascara!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely no way to get HIV that way Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This whole fear started when I received a letter from Africa, I sponser a little boy so he can go to school, I get letter and one had what I thought had blood on them, and I worried if I had a cut, or rubbed my eyes or put my finger in my nose, would the virus stay alive on the letter/ envelope and infect me. I must try and end here with the first fear. I must stop asking all these stupid questions.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It almost looks like you purposely do things that worsen your fears Jane--like using the mascara after it fell on your husband's shoes

I agree you only feed your OCD by asking questions like this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't purposely do things, I try to ignore what my mind is telling me. I take Letrozole for my Breast Cancer, and now I am in a panic because I left my Letrzole in its box on the windowsill for a few hours and it is very warm outside today, do you think it will affect the drugs from working properly?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That shouldn't affect the medication Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also put them on the cooker by mistake when it was hot, but the packet was not burnt and seemed ok would that affect them
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--the cooker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what you call it in America, it's a range where I cook food on. It an hob and oven.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We just call it a stove or an oven but how hot did it get and for how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure my daughter was cooking and I suppose about 15 to 20 minutes, the box they were in was fine and not burnt! I can't be totally sure of the time thought. But I took them off when I realised.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So it was just on top of an oven that was being used?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I think so!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Then again that should be no problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The effectiveness of the drug won't have been affected?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's what I just said Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mentioned to you about my husbands shoe which is he trod on an old sanitary towel, I have dropped my earring and makeup brushes on it or near it, I have carried on wearing the warty and used the makeup brushes because that's what I should do in Cog therapy, am I safe from HIV? And not be infected?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're completely safe Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And safe from dropping my glasses near the shoes that step on the sanitary towel?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still safe Jane
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am fighting my OCD today, because it is the anniversary of my Breast Cancer diagnosis, and also my wedding anniversary! I am trying to stop myself from worrying over jabbing myself on safety pins, razors nails etc etc. I also used a water hose where there had been blood on the floor a week or so ago I am not sure whether it was human or not, but also I water hosed down a door which when it was fitted months ago one of the builders cut himself because it was on the sealant, now the water splashed into my face and got in my eyes am I safe from HIV from any of these scenarios ?
I will now try to take control over my OCD, and try not to bother you again, thank you Dr Chip
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Happy anniversary Jane

You can't have gotten HIV from the water or from any other scenario you've given me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Chip
I am still trying to control my OCD have being doing a bit better, but do you remember I told you my son got splattered by blood in a nightclub by someone who claimed they HIV positive, and then my son sat in our car with the tshirt that that had blood on it, well this was over three months ago and today I sat in the same seat with the seatbelt and touched it then ate an apple without washing my hands and I bit my tongue, would the HIV virus get on my hands which touched the apple and then got into the cut on my tongue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No way Jane--completely impossible that way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or from a sharp piece of wire and glasson a picture which my cleaning lady could have prick her hand on the wire and glass before I did? But I must say to myself the virus only survive for seconds, is that so? Also if HIV was that easy to catch then there would be a world epidemic!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes you didn't get HIV that way either and the virus does have a very short life-span outside the human body. Good thought to keep repeating to yourself about the epidemic if it were that easy to catch

And if we're going to use this page any further, you need first to rate this answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Dr Chip so the seatbelt with the HIV positive blood from my sons tshirt touched some toilet tissue I bought for the family to use in the toilet could not carry the virus because after a few seconds it would be dead, even if the toilet tissues are ready moisturise and damp, could the virus survive?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The virus wouldn't have survived even then Jane.

Rating please