Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I suffer from IBS, but from time to time I get diarrhea and

Customer Question

I suffer from IBS, but from time to time I get diarrhea and tummy upset which leaves me with eggs smelling burps. The last time I had this before my currently bout was last year. I then stay off fizzy drinks and take alka seltzer drinks. But I wanted to know why it happens from time to time.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this but there are some possibilities here--
You may have an H pylori stomach infection and you need to be screened for that since it's easily eradicated with a course of antibiotics
You may have gastroparesis--a stomach that doesn't empty properly and that takes a gastric emptying study and it can be treated with a medication called Reglan
Finally, you may have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and that takes endoscopy and intestinal samples taken for culture to detect. This can be treated with antibiotics and probiotics
I suggest you see a gastroenterologist for a full evaluation of all this