Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I usually eat a well balanced diet. If I ever get causght

I usually eat a well balanced diet. If I ever get causght out and eat something too sugary I feel dithery, my muscles ache, I get head ache, feel blurry and weak. Then I want to sleep.
If I have a day where I don't eat right (consume too much sugar) I am very dizzy the next day, tired and weak. The worst feeling is after the sugary food though. It can be just minutes after with the dithery achy feeling. It makes me feel like eating more sugar to pick me up but that makes things worse.
What could this be? I have booked to see a doctor but it's been passed off as nothing before yet although it is causing me real problems. I'm exhausted!
I am on no medication.
Thankyou, charlotte, age 27.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Sugary food causes spike in your blood sugar due to the instant release into the blood stream.The pancreas may not be able to keep up with high sugar load hence insulin may not be able to bring down the blood sugar fast enough.This results in post prandial hyperglycemia or high blood sugar level--diabetes or prediabetes.Hence, you likely have this condition.Fasting blood sugar and a 2 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) should be considered to make the diagnosis.You should avoid sugary food.You can have complex carbs like whole grains, oatmeal, lean proteins, polyunsaturated fat in your diet.Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today.If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.I am here to answer them.I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are the eats accurate?
Sometimes I am ok, some days I don't feel affected. So would the test always be accurate?
Does that explain why I get aching muscles and I can be dizzy. Sometimes I faint and shake as if I'm having a fit before I come round. Is that also explained by what could be diabetes? And what type is it?
I have fainted a lot for many years and doctors always put it down to low blood pressure but there was no reason for it.
Thankyou.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes those tests --fasting blood sugar, hemoglobin A1c level, and Glucose tolerance test (oral GTT) are accurate in diagnosing any blood sugar related problem low or high.This will be type 2 diabetes since this is adult onset.Yes these symptoms can be explained by diabetes.These tests need to be checked first before anything else. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/