Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I have had unipolar depression since I was 20, and am now .

I have had unipolar depression since I was 20, and am now 69. I have been taking anti depressants since I was diagnosed at 35, which control the symptoms. I had never suffered from stress or anxiety, and still do not. in fact I am socially confident, and feel intellectually 'superior' to many of my peers.
This seems totally opposite to all the normal symptoms and I have never seen an example of this anywhere, so can you help me understand this.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Your case is not as extraordinary as you think. Stress and anxiety are quite often not part of a depression. A narcissistic personality disorder can disguise the depressive symptoms and boost the social confidence.
You have decided to go your special way, not regarding what doctors may have told you. This (together with your high self esteem) may be assumed as part of a narcissistic personality.
If your life i enjoyable that way: You're welcome.
I wish you all the best!