Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been experiencing tingling in my right big toe for

Hi i have been experiencing tingling in my right big toe for a few weeks and also when i walk more than 200 yards my right calf muscle starts to ache to the point that i can not walk could you please advise me weather i should see a doctor or is there something i could do myself to stop this thanks charles
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Charles
Any change in color to the toe or to the lower leg?
Once the calf muscle starts to hurt and you stop walking how long does it take the pain to go away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none
10 / 15 min
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK.
This sounds like what's called claudication--diminished blood flow in the leg arteries due to partial blockage of one or more of those arteries.
When you walk the calf muscles need more oxygen to function and if the flow is partially blocked and the muscles can't get enough oxygen they go into anaerobic mode and produce lactic acid which causes the pain. Once you stop walking the lactic acid is gradually metabolized and the pain goes away.
You need to have your doctor order arterial blood flow studies of both legs and you may have to have surgical revascularization--a bypass graft of one of the arteries in the leg--to restore the proper blood flow
Let me know if you need more information please