Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What can be done adult newly diagnosed with an autism

Customer Question

What can be done for an adult newly diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, is it too late?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
In fact you must be highly functional.
I question the diagnosis in fact
Who gave it to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a self diagnosis as of now but I want to know if anything can be done for me, is it too late? Please help

I don't think you have autism.
You can not self diagnose autism, and by definition, autism occurs in early child hood.
Might you have some autistic traits?
yes, you might.
Can anything be done, of course.
Your first step is to see a psychiatrist, to see what your diagnosis is.
There is no medication or medical treatment for autism. Treatment is behavioral.
The doctor will refer you to any appropriate behavioral treatments.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can an individual as dysfunctional as me become high functioning like my peers or is it too late I am 22 will say 10 years of behavioural treatment transform me or will I be in care I'm really struggling I know I am vague but I just want to be normal

No way to say until you have an evaluation.
Autism is a spectrum.
And it might be another diagnosis.
Depending on where you are on the spectrum, or what your actual diagnosis is, treatment will be more, or less, effective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any information on the effectiveness of stem cell treatment for disabilities?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I would like more clarity and examples of previous incidents and recent cases of people like myself

What exact question do you have?

There is no approved stem cell therapies.

And you do not even know what condition you have at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have some form of learning diability/aspergers I have never told anyone and went into my own world I never knew what was wrong with me I just thought I was a bad child I'm now 22 I've just spoken out as I'm struggling with life badly what can be done to help me I smoked weed for years and cigarettes I have a job that I feel is killing me I feel so lost both socially and mentally, I need help, what can be done for me, is it too late I feel I may die soon and I am scared. What can be done for someone like me at the age of 22? Have I screwed my life up completely? How is a problem like this solved. What treatments are there? Can I be helped? At such a late age in my development. Can I lead a normal life?

I have answered all of these questions above.
I am not sure what you are asking now.
AS I have stated, your steps are as follows
a. See a psychiatrist.
b. Get an actual diagnosis.
c. Get appropriate treatment and referrals.
Of course things can be done, as I have already stated.
Until you have a diagnosis, exact treatment can not be stated, nor can prognosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know if you have any experience with an individual similar to myself and whether they were helped and lived longer happier lives with success once helped?

Every single individual like you that I have seen has gone through the process I stated above.
And every one has been helped.
However, they got a diagnosis and saw the doctor in person.
If you don't do that, you are likely to remain as you are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

U said you question the diagnosis. Although it is self diagnosis it seems u may have an idea of something else it could be. What else could this be

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
What my condition may be
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.
Could you list all the symtoms that you are having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok assuming u have read the above questions and answers . I have some form of mental diability. I struggle with coordination social skills, I am clumsy I literally can't function I have no imagination, high anxiety and depression, I've always struggled with relationships and conversation and it has gotten to the point where I think of nothing and live a terrible life, I feel I may die soon. I have learned no life skills since I can remember I don't enjoy anything, I need help what could this be and what can actually be done to help me now I am 22, I just want to be happy and lead a normal life, is this a common thing. Can I be saved and become normal at such a late stage in life? How late o's too late?

Yes, I read the above discussion, but the bulk of what you had relayed is your interpretation of the cause of your condition, rather than symptoms, per se.

The other expert is correct that autism is usually diagnosed before an adult, although it is possible that someone that is very highly functioning could be missed when younger.

As for what other condition could be present, the symptoms that you describe in a young adult is more often a manifestation of clinical depression or one of the anxiety disorders.

For any of the possible causes of these symptoms, treatment is typically very effective, but the proper treatment is first dependent upon making a proper diagnosis. From that perspective, the other expert is also correct that the first step would be a visit with a psychiatrist, who will first make a proper diagnosis, and then decide on the best treatment plan.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you can give me an example of bad cases yous have seen become a great success I'd be very greatful I'm just really worried

I have had numerous cases of patients with severe mental illness that do well with treatment, but I am not going to violate the privacy of any of these individuals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I understand that privacy is important I would just like to know if you have any experience with older adults diagnosed with mental illness and also do you have any opinions on stem cell treatment for mental illness?

You are not an older adult. You are a young adult. As I noted above, for any of the possible causes of these symptoms, treatment is typically very effective, and that is true for young adults as well.

There is no current use of stem cell treatment for any of the possible causes of these symptoms.