DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

1. I frequently have pain in my chest. The left side of my

Customer Question

1. I frequently have pain in my chest. The left side of my chest, near the heart. I have had several ECGs which all came back ok. I've had a ultra sound on my heart which also came back ok. I had a ultra sound on my stomach which also came back all clear. Over the past 2 years I have been on and off Lanzoprezole as I was told I have severe acid reflux. Which does make sense because I do burp a lot and have had h.plyori virus twice which was treated with antobiotics. I do drink alcohol on a regular basis and once a week may go out and drink and excessive amount. The day after my symptoms are 100 times worst. It is unbearable almost to the point you feel as if your going to die / faint. I am also a regular smoker who smokes up ten cigarettes a day. I know that none of this helps my problem at all but I recently went a whole week without smoking and drinking and the same feeling was still there. Too add, recently I have been getting shooting headache which makes me feel lightheaded for a few seconds. the headaches seem to be happening on a regular basis. the feeling of Nausea, weakness, Fatigue are all common on a a daily basis. I've had blood tests and all seem to be fine. Many people have told me its anxiety, although I admit that anxiety does kick on when these symptoms are at its worst, I want to know what the under lying problem is. I'm 30 years old and have been working in bars / clubs since 18 and drinking frequently. Have I errored my gullet? Is it curable? I'm sick of feeling this way, I used to be very fit and healthy and I still often play a lot of sports but just feel so weak all the time. I would like to know your thoughts as I am ready to make changes in order to stop this all
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You can have a stomach ulcer or gastritis.
You need a scope to look at the lining of the stomach.
This should be your next step.
The chest pain is probably from the acid reflux. An ulcer can refer pain as well.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For £18 that was a very basic answer. I have had a camera down my throat and no ulcer was found.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
The question set up IS for a basic answer, not for a complex answer.
It appears that drinking and smoking need to stop completely.
Both of these aggravate heart burn.
In fact, heart burn plus anxiety can account for all of your symptoms.
I doubt you have had the complete set of blood tests needed, or testing, however.
If you can list exactly what tests you have had, I can comment further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure all the blood tests I have had but I have had about 5 blood tests in the last 6 months. Both on NHS and more recently with private health. I understand what you are saying about drinking and smoking but I did try that for a week and the feeling was still there. I assumed it had nothing to do with that. I am trying to stop. Is it worth me paying for a full body MRI would that detect the actual problem rather than assumptions?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

I would be glad to continue, as this is a back and forth format. however, I just noticed that you gave me a negative rating, before clarifying your information. That rates me bad with JA and sees that I don't get paid. Was that deliberate, or in error [it happens]?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was deliberate because I wasn't happy with your first answer. However, now you have given me a bit more detail happy to change that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I change it? So you can be paid?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Just rate a positive on this post.
In addition: quitting smoking will not reverse the acid in your system for 2 weeks to 6 months.
Quitting drinking will take 3 months to a year to reverse irritation of the stomach, liver, etc.
As far as testing, you should have: thyroid function blood tests. Inflammatory marker blood tests, a holter monitor to watch the heart for two days, and if heart pain is a concern, a stress test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You for your help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
anytime
any questions