Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Painful cord under glans

Hello, I have been to the doctor and he hasn't been much help, I am saving money to see a private urologist and I'm hoping you can help me in the meantime. Here is my story: Just over 2 months ago, I began to feel a slight discomfort under my glans, I didn't pay much attention to it and figured it would go away soon. Unfortunately, it got worse and now I have this 'cord' running horizontal to my glans from mid-shaft and to the left. I have abstained from any sexual activity for 3 weeks but it still hurts if I do things like exercise etc. Also, the whole of my penis has changed appearance, veins are looking more prominent, spider-veins have appeared, the skin is drying and my penis just generally looks uglier. Also, it twitches sometimes when I'm sitting down. I do have prostate issues and I wonder if the twitching is down to that? Mainly, for now, what do you think the painful cord under my glans could be? I am able to push it down, so it's not really hard but it's there during flaccid and erection and if I push it then it hurts afterwards, but it is not tender. My biggest concern is Peyronie's. What does scar tissue feel like? I was stressed and masturbating excessively when this all happened.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Since you do not mention that your penis is curving or bending because of this cord, is it correct to interpret that as indicating that there is no problem with curvature or bending?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a slight bend to the left at the top, when flaccid, but it's straight when erect. I have felt for hard plaque but there is nothing.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since the penis is straight when erect and no hard abnormality is present, this would not be Peyronie's disease. A slight bend when flaccid that is straight when erect is normal.

The plaques of Peyronie's disease are very firm, since they are composed of fibrous tissue. So, they are similar to the tissue that is in tendons, such as can be felt in the wrist. The plaques of Peyronie's are typically broader and flatter than a tendon, but the firmness is similar.

This cord that you can push down is most likely a vascular structure, such as a vein or lymphatic. The fact that you have noticed other prominent veins and spider veins would increase the likelihood that this is vascular. Since this structure appears different than the prominent veins, it is more likely that this is a lymphatic, although it also could be a deeper vein. Prominent vascular structures can be related to certain prostate problems, because prostate problems can cause swelling and increased pressure in the pelvis, and this pressure can cause the veins and lymphatics to become engorged. And yes, the twitching can also be related to prostate problems.

At this point, it would be appropriate to focus on addressing the prostate issues and then see if these changes in the penis resolve.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your highly detailed reply. After doing my own research recently; I believe you may be right about the prostate issues, I am getting an ultrasound with a Peyronie's expert just to be certain about Peyronie's.

I have begun working on my pelvic issues with stretches, massages and change in diet.

If you're able to tell me, could you please just explain a little bit more about how my prostate/pelvis issues are engorging my veins? Also, would this explain the pain in my genitals? Because, it's not 'tender' pain as such, as in it doesn't hurt when I push on points but there is pain/discomfort in different locations. Ranging from anywhere on my penis, groin and testicles. Could this be the pelvic pressure pushing on nerves?

You have not provided details about what prostate problem that has been diagnosed, but as an example, if there is an infection of the prostate, then the prostate can become swollen, which increases the pressure in the pelvis and can affect the vascular structures that pass through the pelvis, including the veins and lymphatics that drain the penis.

It is also possible that this pressure can press on nerves, which can cause pain or tingling of the genitals.