Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have always had mild stomach problems that flared up every

Customer Question

I have always had mild stomach problems that flared up every 6 months or so. The symptoms follow the same pattern with me first feeling bloated uncomfortable and agitated (with a feeling like my stomach is brewing) This is often followed by general itching on my face scalp and sometimes the body. The next morning often after a disrupted nights sleep I have a mildly upset stomach and generally feel unwell and tired. A Rosacea type rash appears on my face usually followed by a boil like eruption somewhere on my nose. The upset stomach/itching and agitation normally subside after 1 to 3 days and the pustule on the nose lasts for typically 7 days.
I am aware that eating too much fat sugar or yeast can start the stomach/rosacea episode and have long since stopped eating dairy products as I seem to have problems with digesting fats.
My main concern is that at the age of 56 my symptoms are getting worse with flare up now every 2 to 3 months which is increasingly debilitating with me feeling tired and wanting to sleep more.
However, in between these episodes I keep myself very fit and eat sensibly for the most part and drink alcohol rarely. During these periods I feel well.
While I understand I have Rosacea from time to time (despite having a more mediteranean skin) I have long since realised that the Rosacea is triggered when the stomach problems occur. Treating the Rosacea is not my concern but more importantly to understand what is happening with my gut that causes this chain reaction.
While I have talked on several occasions to a doctor about my stomach issues to date I have not had any tests done only advice as to what I should or should not eat and what medicine to take to quieten down the problem and to alleviate the Rosacea. None of which has helped.
Your suggestions to a way forward would be much appreciated.
Simon
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Are dairy products the only thing you've tried to eliminate from your diet? What medication was suggest for the stomach problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Chip

I have also stopped heavily yeast based foods such as marmite as these always cause me to feel like I am perculating. I have also stopped drinking beer which also has the same effect.

As the stomach problems have increased I hav cut back on faty foods such as fish and chips as these always leave me feeling slightly poisoned shortly afterwards (although I enjoy at the time).

.

Sugary foods also leave me feeling nauseas

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So just to be clear Simon--your doctor didn't do any studies and really didn't have a suggestion as to a diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Is that true?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry a bit confused as to what happens next.....do I wait for your answer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I haven't given you an answer yet Simon--I need more information first.

So your doctor did no studies for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No but in the past I have for the most part lived with the recurring problem and have only gone to the doctors about the symptoms to which I have been told about elimination of problem foods. For the Roasacea I have been prescribed topical treatment. It is now much worse hence the contact to yourself.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--have you tried elminating gluten containing foods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I have not. I have wondered about Gluten but I guess felt that eliminating all gluten was a drastic choice which may or may not yield results.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Simon. Here are my thoughts--

The rosacea may not be related to the stomach problems at all but with celiac disorder--gluten intolerance--there can be a rash that occurs

The stomach problem itself could be an H pylori infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or gastroparesis--a too slowly emptying stomach

At this point I would refer you to a gastroenterologist for an evaluation and appropriate treatment, depending on the diagnosis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help

I will see my doctor about getting referred to a gastroenterologist

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes