DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm at my wits end. Have had my 5 year old son at the gp numerous

I'm at my wits end. Have had my 5 year old son at the gp numerous times with symptoms as follows:
Dizziness followed by tummy pains - stool motion then a 'pump pump ' feeling justs above his pubic bone - spreading into his thighs ( shaky perhaps or a spasm). He then immediately falls asleep. He is extremely distressed by the episodes and verbalises how frightened he is. I have asked for a referral and that is in place but he just had a particularly bad episode of whatever it is and I believe some sort of panic attack. When he doesn't have the symptoms is very well, active, not on meds for anything and a generally happy outgoing little boy. Any ideas? I've gone from thinking it is heart related to bowel related .. I'm very worried.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
What is your medical question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have had my 5 year old son at the GP with symptoms as follows:
Tummy pains
Dizziness
He is otherwise well and not on any meds .a normal active 5 year old. He has just had an episode of dizziness followed by tummy pain- bowel movement - then he described a 'pump
Pump feeling just above his pubic bone and travelling Into his thighs - said his legs felt shaky. He was very distressed to the point of what I thought was a panic attack. He can feel nauseated. His cheeks become flushed - his skin clammy and then he falls asleep - exhausted. No idea what this is. Waiting for a referral to a child doctor , we live in the UK and it may take several weeks. He also described feeling like he can't move his arms but he actually can ... This is the second time this week. He can't be distracted with promises of treats, tv , toys. Nothing seems to settle him other than promptly sleeping.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OK
It might be nothing other than irritable bowel syndrome.
However, I would want to rule out
a. thyroid disease, which can be done with a blood test.
b. heavy metal toxicity, also tests.
c. carcinoid syndrome, very rare, but a bowel disease that causes this set of symptoms.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is irritable bowel something that can happen to kids so young? Should I act on this immediately or wait for referral? What is carcinoid syndrome ? Is that a cancer?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
IBS can happen to anyone.
Carcinoid is a type of tumor that secretes hormones.
I don't think this is an emergency, but the time line should be discussed with his GP.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.