Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

A week ago today, I fell back, sitting on a chair, and hit

A week ago today, I fell back, sitting on a chair, and hit the back of my head on a metal upright. I was dazed for a few minutes. The next day, I felt dizzy when getting up off the floor. After that, no symptoms. Went last week to a camp. Now home. Noticing that I seem to get tired more easily than usually. Maybe I am just tired from last week. Should I go to A&E?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Yes your symptom of getting tired more easily is most probably due to the activities in the camp. However though this does not indicate an emergency visit, still I would suggest that you have certain investigations (such as complete blood count to look for anemia, thyroid function tests to look for low thyroid hormones, and fasting blood glucose done to look for diabetes) done if this continues for another few days. Also if you have additional symptoms such as dizziness or fainting, numbness, or headache I would suggest going to the emergency. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I decided, after all to go see my GP. He told me clearly that I have the symptoms of post-concussion syndrome, which tends to last only a few weeks. I am surprised that you did not inform me of this well-known reaction to concussion. Regards, ***** *****

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

The symptoms of post-concussion sydrome are:

• Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Irritability
  • Noise and light sensitivity
  • Loss of concentration and memory
  • Anxiety
  • Insomnia

Your complaint was geting tired more easily than usual, and you had also gone to a camp, hence in this scenario the most likely cause was due to the physical exertion in the camp. Also in view of this syndrome I had mentioned in my answer that you need to consult a doctor or immediately go to the emergency if you have additional symptoms such as dizziness or fainting, numbness, or headache I would suggest going to the emergency.

Your well being is my main concern.

Take care.