Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There. My name is***** am 50 year old.I had EUA and trans-anal

Hi there. My name is***** am 50 year old.I had EUA and trans-anal resection of large low rectal polyp on 3 August. I think that my recovery went well till this Tuesday. I always felt the tension in my anus.No bleeding. I have't bend or lifting anything heavy. Max temperature 36.9 I had diarrhea in that afternoon and next day. after that tension was gone. I had a bit pain in my belly but not very strong. I took a painkillers. I show my GP on Thursday morning. She checked me and said that everything is fine and it is a part of healing. But I have got worries because I have never ever feelings like now. for example the gap between legs is bigger and I feel the air and no tension. Try to squeeze the anus but without success. Thank you for your advice. Jana
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you clarify what symptoms you are asking about?
Do you mean that you are passing more gas through your anus?
Or do you mean that you are feeling more air in the rectum?
Or are you asking about the bit of pain that you have had?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am feeling the air from outsid while I am walking. I feel so lose.

But you are not leaking any stool, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. But my temperature is going a bit higher. 37.3. I have hypothyroidism so it is no easy for me to spot the temperature. It alway betwen 35-36.6. So I don't know if is any inflammatory there.

Yes I have a moderate pain sometime but is natural I think. I just don't go to emergency with common symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you there?

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, I am here, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

It is normal for there to be an increased sensation of air or gas that is more noticeable when walking. Whenever there is surgery involving or around the anus, it is normal for the anal sphincter to have slightly less tension than normal, so that this sensation of air can happen. It will even sometimes be manifested as leakage of small amounts of liquid stool, but as long as there is no significant leakage of stool, it would not be abnormal.

It is also true that any surgery on the colon or rectum can have some low level of inflammation as part of the healing process. That also would be considered normal. If an infection develops, that would be considered abnormal, but there would usually be a higher temperature, greater pain, diarrhoea, or purulent drainage from the anus. As long as these other symptoms do not develop, the mild increase in temperature is not concerning.

So, there is no concern with the symptoms that you describe and they would be considered normal after the surgery that you have had.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the answer. Will be the anus sphincter get normal? I is no very comfortable with it now. I fee like is some lubricant gel in my anus.. When roughly can I expect better? Wistin how many weeks Please?

Yes, as the healing progresses, the anus tone will typically return to normal, but it will commonly take 1-2 months for most of these symptoms to resolve.