DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

What's the best cause of action , I took an illegal

What's the best cause of action for insomnia , I took an illegal substance and since had problems sleeping. I don't normally take substances and this is a one time mistake believe me.
I was not sleeping and the getting anxiety as a results of this.
I went to my local GP , and he prescribed anti depressants , I knew this wasn't what I needed and he wasn't listening to me, decided not to take.
It got so bad I went to A&E after being awake for 5 days, prescribed diazepam 5mg , I have also tried zopiclone and now on nytol and herbal remedies , I have been sleeping on a 1 sleep to 2 days not sleeping basis.
It's exhausting and just want to get back to normal. I have been on nytol for at least 2 weeks now and still not back to normal , should I move down to natrasleep valerian tablets?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about your situation.
A. You need a sleep study. Without that, the cause of your problem is a guess.
B. Stop any herbal supplements unless your doctor has prescribed them. They can interact with your medications negatively.
C. Stop nytol unless your doctor told you to do that.
D. Report to your doctor immediately, and ask for a sleep study.
E. Anti depressants can also be used for anxiety and for sleep problems.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to change doctor first thing Monday as mine is simply rubbish , lucky if he actually looks at me.
I guess I'm currently using Nytol to make me sleep and herbal drops like larch and white chestnut to relax me and Nytol sleep elixir.
I should also mention I am now taking 5HTP and magnesium and zinc complex.
I'm worried about tonight's sleep already , should I take any of this?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
No
Stop anything your doctor did not prescribe.
YOu can create a very bad situation.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.