Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I have not been able to urinate since Friday night. I'm feeling

I have not been able to urinate since Friday night. I'm feeling very uncomfortable now and can't sleep. Do i need urgent attention. Who would I contact? I am 70 and live alone.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. I can help you tonight. I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. Since it's been 24 hours since you've been able to urinate, it's time to seek emergency care. If you feel well otherwise, you should drive yourself to the nearest emergency room hospital. The reason this is urgent is that if the urine is backing up, it can cause severe kidney damage and from there be a very serious medical condition. If you're not able to drive, it's best to call for an ambulance to drive you. I'm sorry that this is the answer to what you have going on. I wish it was something simple that you can take care of at home but it's not. 24 hours is quite a long time to go without being able to urinate and can be a sign of a blockage in the urinary track that needs to be relieved. Please reply if I can give more details or clarify anything. I hope it turns out to be something simple and not so serious.