Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I am experiencing a dizziness/fuzziness when i move my head

i am experiencing a dizziness/fuzziness when i move my head too quickly,I have just had a throat and infection,last week.I REALLY NOTICE IT WHEN I LOOK DOWN OR UP QUICKLY AND MOVE MY HEAD ACCORDINGLY.Ihave had it since saturday,although the effect seems to be gradually improving.I also feel like i have a sinus infection and my right ear is still slightly sore.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.The cause of dizziness is abnormal pressure within the middle ear. Let me explain a bit. Middle ear is a closed chamber with thin hair within it. Any change in position causes these hair to send signal to the brain which accordingly adjusts the muscles of the body and hence posture is maintained. When the pressure within this chamber is altered {generally due to inflammation of infection} the hair send wrong signals to brain causing dizziness. The middle ear, sinuses and throat are in communication with each other. Infection from one place easily spreads to other {through Eustachian tube}.Next step - Motrin {Ibuprofen}, Benadryl {anti-allergic} should reduce the inflammation giving relief. Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}, steam inhalation and hot soup do help too. Generally antibiotics are not needed.Wish you well.Best