Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am depressed and feeling weak all the time. I am male

Customer Question

Hi, I am depressed and feeling weak all the time. I am male 37 yeras of age. I am happily married and have perfect life. I was overwieght and went on a very strict diet. I lost about 30 kilos in 6 months. I felt good. But after 6 months suddenly i felt very weak. My body was shaking and lost appetite. I felt very depressed and had panic attackes. I am still the same. I regularly feel somthibg bad is gonna happen to me. For example, I am driving my car and suddenly think that im going to be very weak and faint, this will make my heart beats go very fast and later i feel very weak. In one other occation i was visiting some relatives and suddenly thoughts came into my mind that im gonna be very weak and faint. Again got panick attack and wanted to leave but was embarrasing to leave after 10 minutes.
When i hear bad news i feel the same. For example if someone dies or gets heart attack, in my mind this is going to happen to me too and i feel depressed and panick with fast heart beating. I was a very sociable person but now i prefer to be alone and dont like talking to people.
I went to the doctor and after many tests I was told that I have vitamine deficiency. I was prescribed vitamin D to treat my depression and other medication to regulate my heart beats. But my condition is the same. So to conclude I have to main conditions, one is I am all the time feeling weak althogh I eat well and the second condition is that I have this trauma or phobia that something bad is going to happen to me and this fear will give me panick attack, fast heart beats, weakness and depression.
Sorry if my explanation is disorganised please ask questions so i can describe.
Faruk
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had a full cardiac workup including EKG, echocardiogram, Holter monitor and a stress test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have only done heart beat rate test and was told its all fine and dont need more tests. But no I gavent had stress test
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So your doctor didn't think this was a heart problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not at all. He said my heart is fine. The only thing is i think too much about my health and this phobia depresses me and makes my heart beats fast. So its the anxiety that majes my heart gi fast. But my problem is i cannot eleminate this phobia out of my head. I aleays think something bad ia going to happen to me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand. Have you considered seeing a therapist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am shy to see a therapist face to face therefore i would like you to help me or a specialist in psychology please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, therapy on line isn't really very effective but I can give you this link for you to work on yourself

http://www.hpft.nhs.uk/_uploads/documents/help-for-adults/cbt-workshop-booklet_web.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How is online therapy? Is it face to face or emailing?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It would need to be face to face as with Skype.