Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had my back upper tooth extracted last year and a year

hi. i had my back upper tooth extracted last year and a year before i had root canal and a crown fitted. since then i havent kept in the best of health. just recently i have been experiencing having excess saliva and lots of swallowing and a thirst most of the time. my voice is also very hoarse a lot
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

you could be having worse acid reflux of stomach acid up your esophagus which can cause heart burn, sore throat, hoarse voice and excessive saliva and bad breath as well

sometimes acid reflux can occur at night time silently and come up and irritate your vocal cords and cause sore throat.

you need to talk to your doctor about strong stomach acid blocking agents like omeprazole (prilosec) or nexium or protonix to help decrease stomach acid.

you also need to avoid foods which worsen stomach acid like spicy foods, tomato sauces, fried foods, oily foods, alcohol, sodas, black pepper, acidic juices.

smaller blander meals can help.

increased exercise can help strengthen abdominal muscles as well.

increased thirst can also be a sign of diabetes. you need to talk to your doctor for testing to check for diabetes with hemoglobin a1c and fasting glucose levels as well

you should see your GP doctor right away about these issues

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have had a diabetes test which was fine. im already on omeprazole. i personally dont think its anything to do with my stomach i was thinking it was something to do with my crown

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you should then see a dentist and check for dental infections and abscesses

usually dental infection and abscess will cause severe dental pain and pus and bad breath
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont have any tooth pain. its the excess thirst and swallowing thats bothering me. i havent felt right for a while now

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.

sometimes parotid infections can cause excessive salivation.

parotid infection can cause swelling of the parotid glands and sometimes tenderness of the largest salivary gland which is the parotid which is below your ears on bothsides.

ask your GP doctor to check your parotid gland

also see if you might need stronger stomach acid medication than omeprazole. what dose are you taking? 20 or 40mg of omeprazole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am taking 20mg of omeprazole. is parotid infection common with having a crown

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that is a low over the counter dose of omeprazole

many patients can still have acid reflux up their esophagus to irritate their throat and cause salivation and sore throat symptoms along with acid reflux coming up at night time.

parotid infection or inflammation can occur in any patient. if you don't have good oral hygeine, bacteria can creep up the salivary duct and into the parotid gland and cause swelling and pain and excessive salivation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just think its a coincidence that since having my dental treatment done my health has started to decline

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see

I would bring these issues up with your dentist and your GP doctor and see what they have to say

and see if they think along the lines I am thinking

or if they have other ideas.

are you willing to see your dentist and GP doctor and bring up these issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeh will visit them in the next few days

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
best of luck to youlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com