Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I'm after a ENG 1. I am an ex royal marine and was medically

Hi, I'm after a ENG 1. I am an ex royal marine and was medically discharged after being diagnosed with epilepsy when I ever did have seizures it was at night time and in my sleep. Never ever in the day, but now I'm on the right medication which has totally stopped the seizures. I was wondering if I would pass for the ENG 1. So I can get back on track with the life style I had planned out for myself. I really need to true answers please. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Nobody can definitively tell you if you would pass the ENG1. It depends on the viewpoint of the doctor. How long have you been without seizures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been with out seizures about a year now.

That's good news. After a year we normally have no problems with people driving cars any more. Why should somebody have problems with you working on a boat? After two years you are safe: Regulations say for epilepsy: "Temporarily unfit category 3 until at least two years fit free and either off medication or on stable medication with good compliance"

I would try to pass the ENG1 and hope for another career for you. The requirements for the royal marine are much higher than those for ENG1, which is a very simple examination. Since you don't have an issue at time you have a good chance to passss. I wish you luck!

You have read my answer, but didn't give a positive feedback yet. Is anything missing? Please feel free to ask!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is its a maritime security job and as long as I get the ENG 1 I can get the job. Before the marines that is all I wanted to do and when I had to leave I was devastated and now my epilepsy is controlled I want to get back into the same kind of work. I'm just so worried because I really need this, to finally complete my dream job. I've tried looking for other career paths and it always crops up again I'm so passionate about this. You do understand where I'm coming from don't you. I already have a full UK licence and have for a long time and I've got powerboat qualifacations, kayaking instructor qualifacations etc etc so personally I know in capable of doing such a job it's just the paper work that might ruin it for me? What do you think?

I would think that you would be completely on the safe side if you waited until you are two years without seizures. As I cited, according to the regulations they should let you pass then. If you are in a hurry, you can give it a try. If you don't pass, you can go again after the 2 years are completed. I can perfectly understand what you mean!