Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

6 weeks ago I had sudden onset of dizziness, sickness,

Customer Question

6 weeks ago I had sudden onset of dizziness, sickness, headaches, stomach cramps, nausea, tiredness. It started when at my computer, suddenly couldn't focus on screen and was sick immediately I was off work for 2 weeks with symptoms - if I tried to do anything I would get nauseous, hot, lightheaded etc. Since then, these symptoms keep flaring up. I'll have days or a week of feeling ok, then days of having blurry vision, nausea, headaches etc. It feels like when I do more, things 're-activate'. But it's been 6 weeks. What causes this? My GP doesn't have any ideas but I need to be able to get back to work and normal life. Any help welcome. Most prominent symptoms are slightly blurry vision and feeling lightheaded and with headaches around eyes and sinuses. No congestion or other fluey symptoms. Dizziness stopped after first few days so that hasn't been ongoing. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr.Customerand pleased to help you.
These signs remind me of an elevated brain pressure. This is often mixed up with gastrointestinal sympoms, because it leads to nausea and vomiting. Typical is the combination with dizziness, headache and tiredness, all issues you mentioned.
No it's time to check your brain! Please see a neurologist.
I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply - that's interesting. It will take around 16 weeks to see a neurologist in the UK at least. Is it possible that this is a long lasting virus? Can viruses last this long? I will try the Neurology referral but this will take some time.

A gastrointestinal virus is not possible, it stays shorter and causes diarrhea.
An brain infection could last longer but should have lead to more severe symptoms (meningitis).