Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Just over three weeks ago I experienced a very sharp

Hi, Just over three weeks ago I experienced a very sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. I could not bend down as the pain was terrible. At this time I noticed a change in my bowel movements. I used to go once every day or once every two days, now my bum feels full all the time and whenever I eat I need to make a bowel movement soon after, once I done this I felt slightly better for a bit. Then a few days later I experienced the worse sharp pain in my stomach and into my bum. It was so bad I could not walk and this pain lasted for about an hour. I have been getting abdominal pain on and off since and my bowels are still the way that they were (needing to go after food). Eating is not a pleasure at the moment and I have loss of appetite. What could this be?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Basically there are many conditions which can cause similar symptoms, however based on your description I would suggest that you consult with your doctor about diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome. Read more about these conditions in the links below: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diverticulitis/basics/definition/con-20033495 http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20024578 Your symptoms are more in favor of irritable bowel syndrome. In this syndrome there is recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort at least 3 days per month in the last 3 months associated with two or more of the following:1. Improvement with defecation2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool However for the diagnosis of this syndrome other conditions such inflammatory bowel disease and diverticular disease needs to be ruled out. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. I will contact my GP.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please rate the answer with a positive rating. Thanks.