Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was prescribed metronidazole 200mg 3 times a day dental

I was prescribed metronidazole 200mg 3 times a day for a dental abscess but have only took two a day not reading instructions properly and have tooth ache again, can I get a second course straight away to take to clear it properly. I'm due to have the tooth extracted in two days but want to postpone this so I can be sedated or a least have more time to prepare myself as I am terrified of dentist, but I also don't want to risk the abscess spreading by waiting longer for the infected tooth to be romoved, have I made the infection worse
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,It is unlikely for he infection to be worse as you do not have any fever or any other symptoms except for pain.You can get another metronidazole course from your doctor this time 3 times daily for a week before going for tooth extraction.This will still work.I assume you are allergic to penicillins since metronidazole was prescribed.Do not worry.You should be fine. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/