Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner is in hospital with a very large abcess in his

My partner is in hospital with a very large abcess in his groin vein, from injecting Drugs. He is on antibiotics IV, and been told will be going to Theatre on friday for ultrasound, to see if any bleeds or clots. I asked why doing that in Theatre and Doctor
said if they find anything they will have to remove his leg. Seems a bit extreme to me, is this likely? what are true risks & outcomes to expect
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
for blood clots, blood thinners like coumadin and heparin are used to help thin the blood
if a large abscess is found, usually these are cut open by a surgeon and the infection and pus are allowed to drain out.
the blood flow into the leg has to be assessed by doppler ultarsound
hopefully the blood flow to the leg is intact.
how old is your partner
amputation of the leg is really really really far down on the list of things they will need to do.
it sounds like they are using your partner as a teaching case if the procedure is being performed in the theatre for training doctors to see.
this will be a good education for the learning doctors.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 41 & chronic Drug Abuser..i thought they were trying to scare him 'clean' but worried about the leg, and DVTs
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.they might have been trying to scare him clean.I hope his infection and abscess gets betterhopefully he doesn't have a blood clot in his leg.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com