Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I've been getting interrupted sleep and waking up with

Customer Question

Hi - I've been getting interrupted sleep and waking up with some body aches (mostly legs) for the past month. Been pretty stressed lately and am 28 year old male? Could this be due to RLS? I don't have the urge to move my legs and I don't have a problem falling asleep?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

How many times do you wake up during the night? What is your weight and height? How many hours of sleep do you get? Do you sleep in the day? Do you have body aches during the day also? Do you exercise? Do you get headache? Do you take any daily medications or suffer from any medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Waking up 2 to 3 times per night. I am slightly over weight - am 6ft and about 15 stone. Apart from that I sleep ok - I sometimes feel tired during the day also - although not a strong urge. Don't get much exercise. No headaches. I have asthma.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes body aches during the day as well
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically with these symptoms I would suggest that you consult your doctor about obstructive sleep apne. Read more about this condition in the below linked article:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obstructive-sleep-apnea/basics/definition/con-20027941

Another condition is nocturnal myoclonus. Read more about it in the below linked article:

http://www.sleepdisordersguide.com/topics/nocturnal-myoclonus.html

However this could also be related to your recent stress, and may resolve when your anxiety comes down.

Take care.

Please rate my answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - could it be restless leg syndrome? Like I said I don't get the urge to move my leg
Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Reading your symptoms, this is unlikely to be restless leg syndrome. The four core symptoms required for diagnosis of this syndrome are:
an urge to move the legs, usually caused or accompanied by an unpleasant sensation in the legs;
symptoms that begin or worsen with rest;
partial or complete relief by movement;
and worsening during the evening or night..

Take care.